These are uncertain, unprecedented times! We need to adapt and rise to the challenge of social distancing, work from home, home schooling, etc. How do we build a sense of control and calm in our day? How can we build mental strength to adapt to the barrage of worrying information and daily changes in circumstances?!
Building routines that help give us mental breaks in our day, moments to check in with oneself, are going to be important during this time. Simple self-care routines can be a great tool to take a few moments to destress, make that mental pause, breath and connect with oneself. This may sound challenging and even impossible for some of us that are dealing with multiple kids and remote work, but here are some simple tips to try:
- Dress for the day! Get out of your PJS! Dressing for the day is important for how you carry yourself through the day. Even though we may not be meeting coworkers, friends etc., we should still take the time to wear something that makes one feel good. PJs are fine occasionally if you planned a fun PJ day with kids; but watch out getting carried away with those PJ days.
- Schedule Self-care! Having routines help us keep a sense of control during these uncertain times. Many of us are building homeschooling or work schedules, but don’t forget to add in some time for self-care. It could be 10 minutes of morning meditation, a face mask every Friday, or time to work out, etc. The important thing is to not to say, “I’ll do it if I have time”, but to actually put it on your schedule. Make yourself a priority and it will help you through this trying time! See our guide for doing home facial below.
- Make mirror time a mindful moment: So, whether you have a 30-minute skincare routine or none at all, every one of us spends some time in front of a mirror. Even if you spend a few minutes brushing your hair in front of the mirror, be deliberate about that time. Take a deep breath, look at yourself, smile and focus on something you like about your reflection. Take this moment to connect with yourself, compliment yourself, be thankful, don’t rush or make to do lists in your mind. Breath! This small change can shift your mindset, reset your day and help build positive energy to take on with you into your day.
- Set Social Media Boundaries: mental self care is very important during this time. While technology and social media allows us to connect with family, friends and our community, be conscious of how you use it. There is a flood of information on Corona virus both good and bad, reliable and unreliable. You may not realize it, but it can create unnecessary worry and stress. Set boundaries for yourself on when, how long and what you want to read and engage with on social media. Limit your time!
Social distancing provides an opportunity to focus on oneself and take time to build habits that will make us mentally stronger for the future. Self-care comes in many forms and used as a deliberate tool, it can reduce stress, build positive self-image and improve outlook to life. Let’s rise to this challenge! Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more articles, tips on self-care as a tool. We will be sharing skincare tips, face yoga, breathing and mindfulness exercises and more to help through this difficult time.
Guide to Home Facials:
Items Needed: Cleanser, Face Scrub, Mask and Wash Cloth
Time – 20-30 minutes
- Cleanse: Clean face with warm water and cleanser.
- Exfoliate: Use face scrub to gently exfoliate. This removes dead skin cells and prepares the skin for absorption of nutrients from face mask. If you don’t have a face scrub, check out our Instagram for a DIY recipe.
Open pores: There are a couple of ways you can do this. Pick the one of the following:
- Rinse wash cloth in warm water (warm not hot!) and apply to face for 30 second to open pores
- Take a warm shower to open pores.
- Use a facial steamer for a few minutes if you have one.
- Mask: apply your mask. We recommend using our Turmeric + CBD mask since it is great for all skin types. Apply mask, enjoy a few minutes of music, reading a book, coffee, picking your clothes etc. Rinse off the mask with plenty of warm water.
- Serum: Serums treat problem issues, apply serum if you have one. We recommend our Turmeric + CBD Glow serum for dark undereye, dark spots or acne.
- Moisturize: Massage face oil or cream on face in upward motion. Start at the base of your neck and work upwards.
- Close Pores: Wet wash cloth in cold water and apply to face for a few seconds. This closes pores and protects them from getting clogged up with dirt throughout the day.
- Sunscreen: finally, if daytime, apply your sunscreen!