This yellow golden spice is popping up everywhere in skincare these days, from eye brightening creams to acne busting cleansers, Turmeric is all the rage. It may seem that this is a new upstart in skin care, but that is not true.
Turmeric is an incredibly old and traditional Ayurveda skin care remedy used in South East Asia for centuries. So traditional that it features prominently in all Indian weddings where brides (often grooms too) apply turmeric masks to prepare for their special day.
So, what can turmeric do and why should you include it in your skincare?
The list is long, but here are some of our top reasons for including Turmeric in your skin care:
- Healthy Glow – regardless of your skin type, skin condition or skin issues, turmeric brightens the skin. It can also boost microcirculation within the skin, leaving your complexion feeling stronger, more supple, and healthier1.
- Acne - The antibacterial properties of turmeric help stop the spread of acne causing bacteria while the anti-inflammatory property of turmeric helps soothe and heal inflamed skin. This is nature’s remedy for acne and a more gentle and sustainable way to treat acne. Not only does it heal acne naturally, but it also improves overall skin health.
- Even toned skin: Growing up I always knew (as did my other Indian friends) that Haldi or Turmeric helps lighten dark spots, brighten skin, and promote an even toned complexion. Curcumin also plays a big role in reducing excess production of melanin2 (a substance that gives the dark skin complexion thus helping fade dark spots over time. Turmeric's skin lightening properties make it a perfect ingredient to help reduce hyperpigmentation, dark spots, dark under eyes and age spots.
- Anti – aging properties: The antioxidant properties of turmeric protect your skin free radicals and damage that is the key cause of skins of aging like fine lines and wrinkles. Turmeric is also known to stimulate collagen production helping keep skin looking younger.
So how can you go about spicing up your skin? You can always make a DIY mask to try at home (refer to our blog on Turmeric masks) or buy a product that has turmeric in it. There are many products to be found these days. Our personal favorites are:
Niru Turmeric + CBD Bright eyes cream – if you are starting out with turmeric, this is a perfect product to try as turmeric’s skin brightening properties really shine here 😊
Niru Turmeric + CBD Cleansing Mask – a multi-tasking cream mask that can be used as a cleanser to remove makeup, as a mask for dry irritated skin or even as a night cream for dry skin. This is a great product to try out turmeric in a couple of different ways.
Niru Turmeric + CBD Mask Kit – This is the heavy hitter, and you know you are all in on turmeric with this one. Our golden powder mask that busts acne and delivers glowing skin.
2. Article in Skincareorg.com - https://www.skincareorg.com/skin-whitening/does-turmeric-lighten-skin-how-to-use-turmeric-to-lighten-skin/